Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The View From 12,000 Feet


Over the weekend, I took a rare opportunity to explore the mountains of Colorado with 6 of my good buddies from church. Needless to say, the mountaintop views were spectacular and provided some needed respite from the hectic trade show and educational conference season.

Not only was it a great reminder of the majesty of creation but it afforded me a few thoughts about the importance of taking a step back and seeing the big picture.

During several of my speaking engagements over the last few months, folks have related some pretty amazing stories regarding their individual business circumstances. Some good and some, well, not so good. In asking probing follow-up questions (you can tell I like to watch Charlie Rose), it seems to me that those who are optimistic about the upcoming spring season have a good strategic game plan firmly set in place. They have planned their work and are ready to work their plan.

In that vein, I think it is important each morning to take 2 minutes, step back, and allow yourself to take in the view from 12,000 feet. In other words, create a list of the top three things that are important to accomplish that day and focus on that list. Write them down and keep the list somewhere close all during the day.

Take the free moments in your day to check on your list, not to hurriedly check your email inbox. Most "urgent" items can wait while you take the time you need to focus on these vital projects. Delegate the tasks of putting out fires to those whom you have empowered to do so.

I know this seems terribly simplistic, but I myself find that the "tyranny of the urgent" can cause me to take my eyes off the ball. It's during those times, the 12,000 view can be most refreshing and re-directing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark 11:23

"For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says."

To God be the glory.

Steve

Unknown said...

Soli Deo Gloria!!!

 
Blogged.com